On an unseasonably scorching day in San Francisco, with temperatures reaching 94 levels, lots of of attendees braved the warmth to attend Synapse 2019, Segment’s annual user conference.
While you’ll be able to’t all the time put together for the climate, Segment definitely ready for this occasion, which featured cool artwork installations, new product releases and a number of fascinating shows.
We first heard from Peter Reinhardt, CEO of Segment, the place he took on one of the hottest matters of the 12 months—knowledge privateness—and established a agency place: “Customer-first means privacy-first.”
Companies ought to each deal with knowledge privateness with no consideration and preserve the personalised expertise that their prospects deserve. Historically, we’ve seen our bodily world architected to fulfill our human wants of privateness, corresponding to in docs’ places of work, loos and so forth. There’s no purpose our digital world shouldn’t be architected to fulfill our human wants of privateness as properly.
Privacy Portal provides Segment shoppers the skill to routinely create, detect and classify knowledge to create a dynamic buyer knowledge stock in minutes. Privacy Portal supplies a singular reality to all the knowledge being collected in Segment.
These options, mixed with Reinhardt’s keynote, established three notable themes round buyer knowledge: transparency, safety and consolidation.
Here’s a recap of 4 shows that drove dwelling these themes at Synapse 2019.
Iterable’s Recap of Synapse 2019
1. Where Does Data Democracy Begin?
Presented by Ajay Gopal, Head of Data Science at Sun Basket
This presentation possible hit dwelling for a lot of entrepreneurs: what number of of us have obtained an analytics request, solely to be unable to retrieve the knowledge your self and have to achieve out to your Data Science crew? This technical dependency solely exacerbates the endless queue of analytic requests all through a company.
To obtain knowledge democracy at Sun Basket, Gopal laid out a three-part design course of:
- Technology: Define, compute and preserve metrics centrally by shifting the supply of reality out of inboxes and into platforms.
- Process: Engineer merchandise with measurement in thoughts to evolve knowledge accountability for day-to-day choices.
- People: Reduce knowledge concern by coaching staff and giving them the instruments and data to resolve their very own questions.
2. Fender’s Digital Transformation
Presented by Ethan Kaplan, GM at Fender Digital
Four years in the past, Fender took a tough have a look at their group and realized that they wanted to be aside of a digital transformation.
On day one of his new position, Kaplan requested to see the knowledge.
Fender’s response? “We don’t have any.”
After a segmentation examine, Fender discovered stunning insights about their prospects:
- 50% of first-time guitar consumers have been girls (the assumption was 20%).
- 90% of first-time consumers would give up taking part in guitar inside six months. The remaining 10% would decide to life and purchase 8-10 guitars.
- First-time consumers have been spending on classes 4x the quantity they spend on the guitar itself.
The first glimpse into this knowledge offered Fender with that “A-ha!” second, and Fender Digital was born. By launching two apps, Fender Tune and Fender Play, they have been in a position to not solely gather knowledge on buyer pursuits but additionally present options to their wants.
Additionally, they’re launching Fender Songs on Oct. 22, which is branded as the “Play Anything App” that converts your favourite songs into playable guitar notes.
Fender’s digital transformation has been unbelievable to see: they’ve gone from zero to 165 million API calls per 12 months, thereby drastically enhancing their buyer expertise and offering vital downstream worth.
3. How to Get Your Security Story CCPA-Ready
Presented by Coleen Coolidge, CISO at Segment; Fredrick Lee, Chief Security Officer at Gusto; Ben Waugh, Chief Security Officer at Redox; Joy Forsythe, Director of Security at Alto Pharmacy; and Steven Nguyen, Director of GRC at Segment
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) goals to extend the privateness rights of customers extra so than wherever else in the U.S. So how does an organization put together for this upcoming regulation?
According to our group of panelists, there are a couple of proactive issues you are able to do.
- Build out a framework to verify everybody understands the influence of how every perform inside your corporation handles knowledge.
- Create a tradition round privateness rights to make sure all crew members function knowledge custodians and act with belief and transparency.
- Automate your knowledge stock. As Coolidge acknowledged, “If data is the bread and butter of your company, then treat it that way.”
4. Experiment! How to Drive Product Innovation in Teams Big and Small
Presented by Patti Chan, VP, Product, at Imperfect Produce
This session dove into experiment-driven product improvement, discussing two sorts of experiments: Optimization and Discovery.
Optimization experiments handle incremental enhancements to options, whereas Discovery experiments contain daring tasks that shoot for the moon.
Here are a couple of finest practices we realized from this session:
- Avoid widespread experimentation errors, corresponding to not specializing in the proper downside to resolve or choosing an unreliable measure.
- Create experiments which can be NOT scalable to get you to your insights faster. Make it scalable later, if needed.
- Share your learnings to construct a tradition of experimentation, like Imperfect Produce does of their Friday Learnings espresso hour.
Build a Best-in-Class Growth Marketing Stack With Iterable and Segment
Every model collects large quantities of first-party knowledge, and the problem lies in leveraging the full potential of it. Iterable companions with buyer knowledge platforms like Segment to unify knowledge from all sources and sync it throughout the progress advertising and marketing stack with trendy APIs.
We hope that you simply stopped by the Iterable sales space at Synapse 2019 to fulfill our crew and talk about how Iterable and Segment are serving to entrepreneurs energy world-class buyer engagement.
Want to study extra about our strong integration? Request a customized demo right this moment!