There are many things that define the success of a product launch. A crucial component of this is having a well thought out launch strategy, and one of its key elements is the product launch email. This plays a vital role in informing your existing audience about what to expect.
Now, let’s dive deeper into the importance of a product launch email and learn how to build one effectively to ensure the success of your launch.
What is a product launch email
Product launch emails are promotional emails that companies send out to inform their existing customers, subscribers, and audience about new product launches, features, updates, and other similar information.
Announcing a product launch can be done through various channels such as changelog, social media posts, or public relations platforms. However, sending an email is the most effective option, as it allows you to reach out to a targeted list of existing customers and subscribers who are genuinely interested in the product.
There are different types of product launch emails, like:
Product preview: This email showcases a preview of an upcoming product.
Pre-order announcement: These emails are generally sent before the actual product launch/release to get pre-orders and also build some traction.
Product release: You will find all the necessary details about a new or updated product in this email.
Feature announcement: These emails are primarily for existing products that are coming up with new feature additions.
How to write a good product launch email
Writing a good product launch email is no rocket science, and there are just some basics that need to be kept in mind. Let’s go through them one by one.
Identify and segment your audience
For example, if you are launching a new clothing line, then you may want to have 2 different emails. One focussed on men and the other on women. This way, the email campaign becomes more targeted and increases the chances of conversion.
Focus on the subject line
Though having a creative subject line doesn’t impact your launch email directly, it has an indirect effect. Including something witty or even an emoji can help with increased attention and open rate.
Use clear and concise copy
When writing a product launch email, it is important to focus on the content and copy.
It should be clear and concise so that everyone reading it can easily understand what the launch is all about. However, it’s essential to keep in mind that people may not be interested in reading lengthy descriptions of products. Instead, they’re more interested in understanding how the product can benefit them.
Therefore, it’s recommended to mention only the most relevant and significant details, such as the use case and the reason the product was created.
Add visual elements
Visual elements such as images and GIFs will make your email more engaging and visually appealing. These not only make it easier to understand the new product but also make the email interesting. Make sure that the visual elements are relevant and add value to the email.
Set a launch sequence
Setting up a launch sequence can help you promote and plan your product launch more effectively. A launch sequence generally contains an announcement email, a pre-order email, and then followed by the actual launch email itself.
A thing to keep in mind here is that the launch sequence depends on the type of product and can have an entirely different sequence as well.
Examples of product launch emails
The most effective way to learn is through examples. Let’s analyse some successful launch emails and determine what makes them great.
Book release mail
Here’s a book release and pre-order email by an online book retailer named “A Kids Co.”
Things done right:
- CTA – The email has multiple CTAs (call-to-action) throughout, which makes it easier for the reader to act anytime while going through the email.
- Descriptive – The email is also well written and descriptive, which contains information about the book, the author, and the book retailer, which makes it easy for the reader to decide whether to pre-order the book.
- Colours – Playful colours are used across the email; this is a good way of building a positive view of the book. In addition to this, the playful nature signifies it is made for kids.
Mobile release/pre-order email
Another great product launch email example is from Google announcing the launch of their new mobile device.
Things done right:
- Images – As it’s a new type of phone (foldable phone), Google has done a great job by focusing more on using images to describe the usage, benefits, and features. This is great because it makes it easier to understand new things such as this foldable mobile phone.
- Content & copy – Google has used content cleverly alongside the images to provide additional context and information whenever needed in a simple language.
Online course launch email
Finally, this is an email from Busuu about their Korean course launch is another great example.
Things done right:
- CTA – The email has multiple well-positioned CTAs throughout the email, making it effortless to act.
- Good mix of text and images: There’s also a good mix of text and images, which together work great in conveying the message and also makes the email attractive.
A product launch email plays a vital role in defining whether the launch will be a success. Even though this isn’t rocket science, one needs to pay attention to the basics, like keeping the copy concise, including mandatory images, having proper segmentation, and other things, to ensure a successful product launch email campaign.
If this is your first time sending a product launch email, then do give EmailOctopus a try – it’s free for up to 2,500 subscribers.